Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Streak

On the night of June 27th, 1998, I sat in a fifth-wheel trailer in Island Park, Idaho, scribbling in a black ten-dollar hard-bound journal from Deseret Book.  I'd finished my first year of school at the University of Utah after returning from Chicago, and had just arrived at the family place outside Yellowstone for the first time since before I'd left.

Twelve years later, I still haven't missed a daily entry.

As much money as I've spent on camera lenses, computer equipment, and retro Air Jordan's, there is nothing as valuable to me as the ten journals I've filled in the last dozen years.  It's cool to think that I could go back to any day from that period and tell you exactly what I was doing.  All too often in life we worry about the things we haven't done, but journals are a nice way to remember what we have enjoyed.

Here are a dozen examples from the last twelve years:
  • Met George Lucas, Ray Bradbury, and Luke Skywalker.
  • Taught English composition to firefighters in South Jordan.
  • Got paid fifty bucks to be a bouncer at a Saltair young adult dance.
  • Been a Best Man twice.
  • Totaled a 1964 Mustang.
  • Saw James Brown in concert.
  • Saw Sammy Sosa hit a home run at Wrigley Field.
  • Ate a raw Habanero pepper.
  • Finally scored a goal in an official rec league soccer game (that wasn't for the other team).
  • Won a fresh salsa competition and a chili cook-off.
  • Sang lead for a real Chicago blues band at The Blue Chicago.
  • Got mugged in The French Quarter.
Here are twelve things I'd like to accomplish in the next dozen years (assuming civilization is not wiped out by a zombie/robot apocalypse first):
  • Watch a movie at either The Spud Drive-In outside Driggs, Idaho or The Sky-Vu Drive-In south of Monroe, Wisconsin.
  • Become an uncle.
  • Get a book published.
  • Buy another Mustang.
  • Visit the old Tatooine set from the original "Star Wars" shoot in Tunisia.
  • Lose enough weight to fit the medium sized "Elvis meets Nixon" t-shirt gathering dust in my dresser.
  • Sit courtside for a Jazz game...in the Finals! (Brother's gotta dream, right?)
  • Have someone throw their underwear at me while playing drums onstage.
  • Reach 100 "followers" on this dumb blog (this is a hint).
  • Get Natalie Portman's phone number.
  • Convince people to finally start referring to my friend Bill as "Dr. Thunder."
  • Bench press 300 lbs.