Friday, November 27, 2009

Daydreaming of the Magical Burger Tree

Earlier this week I swung out to the DQ to have lunch with my buddy Randy and his two kids, Max and Olivia (my auxiliary niece and nephew, since Randy has taught them to address me as "Uncle Josh.")

Typically Max's antics take center stage, such as the episode back in September when he spent roughly 95% of a day in Yellowstone National Park staring at the ground, fascinated by the park's curious geology and completely disinterested by the fifty-foot geyser twenty yards away.  But this time, four-year-old Olivia provided the memorable imagery.

My auxiliary niece (who made it quite clear that she prefers to be addressed as a "tough chick" as opposed to a "tough girl" while fastening her own car seat buckle) was about to dig into her DQ hamburger when she paused and stared fascinated at the bun.

"Hey...this hamburger has SEEDS on it..." she said in amazement.

I wasn't sure if this was going to be a good thing or a bad thing.

"...they must be for GROWING HAMBURGERS."

Good thing.  Definitely a good thing.