Friday, May 01, 2009

Zombie Smoothie

My eating habits have been atrocious for years, but if I have one saving grace it is that I am a big fan of fresh fruit. So as spring rolls around, not only am I happy to see the warmer weather, I'm also happy to see something fresh in the produce section.

Last night around 10:30PM I started jonesing for some natural refreshment, so on the way home from watching "Office" and "30 Rock" with some friends, I swung by the grocery store to pick up a few extra items to fill out a solid smoothie recipe. The last time I'd made smoothies, a friend had contributed some limeade, so in addition to a few ripe bananas, I snagged a four-bottle pack of Stewart's Limes.

Once I returned to home base I put together the following: two fresh bananas, a dozen strawberries, two-dozen blackberries, sugar, ice, a cup and a half of strawberry daquiri mix, and one bottle of Stewart's Lime. Then I sat down and enjoyed my concoction while watching the last 45 minutes of the 1989 remake of "Night of the Living Dead."

The verdict?

Smoothie: A little runny-I probably should have added more ice-but not too bad. The Stewart's definitely gave the smoothie more of a bite, but in retrospect I think I should have used real limeade instead of a carbonated lime flavored drink substitute, even if the real stuff was more expensive.

Movie: a little dated-the original story was altered to turn the first victim from a catatonic ditz into a gun-toting feminist with a bad 80's super-short haircut, who goes on a solo shooting spree and survives the affair instead of getting dragged out of the farmhouse and eaten by her brother-turned-zombie. Not impressed. Plus the end of the film tries to over-telegraph the allegory about man's inhumanity to man and all that. Just doesn't pack the punch of the original, on any level.

Next time, I'm going with the original, and a non-carbonated smoothie to boot.